FIRBIDDEN KINJUTSU SCROLLS
1. What is bounce rate?
BOUNCE RATE AS DEFINED BY GOOGLE ANALYTICS:
The percentage of single-page visits (i.e. visits in which the person left your site from the entrance page).
Bounce Rate is a measure of visit quality
And a high Bounce Rate generally indicates that site entrance (landing) pages aren’t relevant to your visitors.
Google takes your bounce rate into accounts as one of many factors when determining how to rank your site.
THE BOUNCE RATE EQUATION
Visits to your subdomain will count as someone leaving your site, and thus incorrectly increase your bounce rate.
A VISITOR CAN BOUNCE FROM YOUR SITE BY…
- Clicking on a link to a page on a different website
- CLicking the”BACK” button to leave the site
- Closing an open window or tab site
- Typing a new URL
- Session timeout
2. BOUNCE RATE BY INDUSTRY
THE METRICS OF AN AVERAGE WEBSITE
- Average time on site: 190.4 seconds
- Average pageviews: 4.6%
- Bounce Rate: 40.5%
- New visits: 62.9%
|Retail sites driving well targeted traffic||Simple landing pages with one call to action such as “add to cart”||Portals such as MSN, Yahoo groups etc.|
|Service sites self service or FAQ sites||Content websites with high search visibility (often for irrelevant terms)”||Lead generation services for sale|
3. IMPROVING BOUNCE RATE
FACTORS THAT AFFECT BOUNCE RATE
- Pop-up ads, surveys, music, or streaming video
- Search engine ranking of page (pages that rank higher on irrelevant keywords have higher bounce rates
- Type of audience
- Landing page design
- Ad and landing page messages
- Emails and newsletters
- Load time of pages (longer load time = higher bounce rate)
- Links to external sites
- Purpose of the page
Did you know that music and streaming video can have a negative effect on bounce rate?
TIPS TO IMPROVE BOUNCE RATE
- Maintain top rankings for branded terms
- Provide relevant content
- Build a clear navigation path/menu
- Link to a glossary page that defines industry terms
- Place search function prominently
- Speed up pagel oad using Google Page Speed Plugin
- Get rid of pop-up ads
- Reduce external links (or have them open in a new window)
Create landing pages tailored to each keyword and ad that you run so that your visitors can find what was promised in the ad copy.
If someone hits refresh while your page is loading, your analytics will not count their bounce. This incorrectly reduces bounce rate.