Email marketing is a tool. Just like any tool, it can be used to benefit you or if used wrongly, may end up ruining your business. The difference between using an axe to chop a tree and using the same axe to accidentally chop of your arm is knowledge and application.
Veteran marketers are able to generate thousands of dollars monthly just by sending emails to a responsive list. Newbie marketers may end up receiving complaints and unsubscribes.
Now that we’ve established that email marketing is the cornerstone of most successful online businesses, let’s look at the advantages and disadvantages of this method of marketing.
Advantages of Email Marketing
- Low cost method. Compared to other methods of marketing such as pay per click ads, direct mailing, magazine ads, etc. email marketing is much cheaper. There are some costs involved since you will be using autoresponder software to handle the mailings. Nevertheless, when compared to other methods, this is truly cost effective.
- It’s fast. Send an email now and within seconds, the subscriber will get it. Time sensitive promotions, special offers, etc. can be made known to your customers immediately.
- Many people check their email daily. As a marketer, you will be able to stay in contact and build brand awareness with your prospective clients and loyal customers.
- There are excellent tracking features available with most autoresponder services. You will be able to track and see how many people opened your emails, how many clicked on your links, etc. All these are priceless information because you will be able to fine tune your system to maximize conversion rates.
- Email is environment friendly. Add a line to your emails such as, “Save paper. Only print if necessary.” This will show your subscribers that you are running an environmentally conscious business.
- You can add emails into your sequence and specify when they should be sent out. That basically means, you can key in a few months worth of emails and set it to autopilot while you kick back and relax.
Disadvantages of Email Marketing
- Spam. Some people will construe any promotional email you send as spam. This can even happen if they opted to receive emails from you. So, either they will mark your email as spam or unsubscribe. The meaner folk may even send a complaint to the mailing service company. It happens.
- Deliverability issues. Email service providers are getting more and more stringent. Any emails with attachments, etc. are deemed suspicious and shuttled off into the spam folders. This can make it really difficult for your email to end up in a person’s inbox. That is why you should choose autoresponder services that have a good relationship with the email providers.
That pretty much wraps it up. No matter how you look at it, the pros heavily outweigh the cons. If you plan to take your online business seriously, you absolutely must build your list and use email marketing.
Even if you have a bricks and mortar store, you can always get your customers to fill out a form with their email address so that they can stay connected and updated to your latest promotions and offers.
Email marketing is effective and it’s here to stay. Get on board and reap the rewards.